Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Dream-Day 131

My swim pal, Dave Pokorny, recommended his PT guy (John Fox) in Farmingdale who was nice enough to fit me in during his lunch time. John put me through a battery of tests and instantly noticed what I'm doing that's pissing off the posterior tibial tendon. He took me through 5 exercises that I'll do 2x/day to accelerate muscle memory and focus on better running mechanics between now and IM. Definitely could've used this knowledge when I started running in April. Can't turn back the clock. Oh, he wouldn't take any money. Solid guy.

After I left, I called Dr. Durlan Castro's office to see if I could get in for some ART (active release technique) to help with the ankle and quad. They were overbooked but had a late cancellation. Got in and have another appointment tomorrow. I think all the health care practitioners are silently rooting for me to continue my triathlon training. Rumor has it they're naming cars and boats after me.

This weekend's (what weekend?) training has been a beast. Yesterday, I had a 6 1/2 hr ride in 25 mph winds. Nice when it's behind you especially when it's on the return. Well, I had 1 of the 2. The ride back was simply hellacious. I was pulling major watts and, at times, going 10 mph. For non-cyclists reading this, imagine peddling hard and someone's trying to pull you backward. Coach Joe calls it imaginary hills. About 5 times, the wind came close to knocking me over. One of those times I was standing still at a light. Crotch survived but holding my mellon up for that long was pretty painful.

On the positive side, my nutrition was much better this week. The first 3 hrs I went with 1/2 Clif Bar (the choc chip with peanut butter was awesome) and 1 Fig Newton per hr then switched guns to 1/2  Clif Bar and 1 boiled new potato with parmesan cheese and salt (YouTube Dr. Allen Lim's recipe) per hr. Can't describe how friggin' happy I was to be done. Spent the rest of Saturday hobbling up and down the stairs. Actually stayed up until 10pm (after eating everything that wasn't nailed down, of course).

Today, by comparison, was pretty light. Only a 7am swim in the liquid torture chamber (affectionately known as LTC) followed by a 3 1/2 mi run. At 3pm, I finish up with a 4 miler.

Starting at 4, I vow to park my ass on the couch, watch football, and beg my daughter to fetch me food for the rest of the night. I anticipate a cash transaction to be involved. Wonder if she takes plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment