Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Dream-Day 138

Weekend wrap up edition:

Nice and easy 45 min bike ride Friday afternoon. I was delayed 10 mins because I couldn't find my sunglasses that I felt the need to put in a shoe in my closet. Am I kidding me? (more on losing my mind later). On a positive note, I dig this taper thing. Not nearly as crushed as with the long training sessions. As a result, my swimming is definitely stronger. Hate to admit it, but tonight was probably the most enjoyable swim I've had to date. It was still a difficult workout, but the fork would have to wait for another day.

Dom picked me up Saturday at 6:30am and we drove to the Heck for a 35 mile ride hoping to stay ahead of the rain and snow. The wind beat us out of bed and, judging by it greeting us with 18mph and a 30 degree wind chill factor, it apparently had a good night's sleep. Right before we started, I went to turn on my PowerTap which I left at home (starting to see a pattern?).

We took a few laps around the 3.75mi oval and then bailed for Union Ave. Great call on Dominque's part as the wind was less fierce. But, as we soon found out, nobody puts rain in the corner. With about 50 mins to go it started and quickly escalated. My Raynaud's rendered my thumbs useless and my other fingers weren't much happier. It was as if someone mashed them with a hammer.

We were almost finished (my frozen face tried hard to smile but couldn't) when I heard a sound like broken glass. I pulled over and didn't notice anything peculiar and rode the last mile to the car. After the ride, we went to Sunrise Tri to drop off my bike so TriBike could pick it up later to ship it to FL. Oh, the sound? That would be a broken spoke. Just happy it happened today. Dom treated me to a great diner breakfast. As we watched the snow come down heavily we sipped on our 2nd cup of coffee with relief that at least we didn't have to ride in that.

On the way home it hit me that I forgot to pick up my other bike at Sunrise Tri. There ya go. Scott's brain has left the building. Goodnight, folks. You've been a great crowd.

Saturday night, we had our annual Halloween party at the Kennedy's house. Their party is always off the charts. This years' theme was School Of Shock. I went as the Mdot and got plenty of stares. Translation: "WTF are you"? Given the departure of my grey matter I told them I'd have to think about it and promised to get back to them.


Today, another great swim, a quick shower, then a 2 mi run around Suffolk Co College and some trails covered with snow. Visited Cynthia (my Controller) in the hospital, watched a quarter of the Giant game and had to do my second 2 mi run before I barfed up my gall bladder.

2 comments:

  1. 10 months ago we meet in the BeachBody message boards/buddies. We chatted on the phone about what it takes to train for an Ironman and the reasons you wanted to do it. In one week you will be an Ironman. Was your preparation everything you wanted an more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how much you've meant to me through this journey. So unexpected, especially when you consider we met on the BB site which has nothing to do with triathlons. My prep was certainly not what I expected. It's been a lesson in perserverance,will, and gratitude. To know when to pull back and when to let it rip. I feel like I'm dreaming.

    ReplyDelete