Friday, October 21, 2011

The Dream-Day 134

Man, it is so important to wake up each morning and be grateful for your health and for the health of those in your world. My Controller is having it really rough. She remains one of the bravest people I've ever met. As a numbers person, she knew from the diagnosis 3 years ago that her odds of making it were slim. Yet, she kept coming to work often in pain and great discomfort. Her commitment and loyalty to me are not of this Earth. I can only imagine how scary the last 3 years have been for her, let alone these past few weeks, as her health has rapidly declined.

What lies before me is nothing by comparison. As 11/5 comes rocketing ever closer my heightened anxiety, especially for the Gulf swim, has come along for the ride. But every time my inner monologue sends off the warning flares and sounds the alarm I think of what she's going through and the courage in which she's dealing with it.

That's why I've decided to dedicate the swim portion of the Ironman to her. I told her I was doing this during my visit to the hospital and it comforted me a great deal to how much it meant to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment