Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Dream-Day 107

Before Irene hit on Saturday, I rode easy on the trainer for 60' and then completed my brick workout with a 1.25 mi run to test out the ankle. It wasn't normal, but wasn't barking either.

Sunday, hurricane Irene knocked out the power. The brunt of the storm passed by mid afternoon. I spent the balance of the day doing a different kind of Triathlon (pool, roof/gutters, deck/driveway cleaning). My transition time wasn't very good as I had trouble starting the blower.

Monday, the roads were a mess. So, I did a 1 1/2 hr moderate ride on the trainer and then ran 1.5 mi. Ankle was the same as it was on Saturday. Then, we packed the car and headed down to the University Of Delaware to move my daughter, and seemingly ever bit of clothing she's ever owned, into college. We found out around 10pm that we could get into her building. Score! Even though we didn't get out of there until after 12:30am it was far better than dealing with all the crazies the next morning. Worse, I would've had to get up around 4:30am to get in my run. Tuesday, I left the hotel at 7am for an hr run. I felt pretty good the first 2 mi. No substantial ankle grief. Then, it started and got progressively worse. After the 6 3/4 mi I iced and commenced with the Advil. Spent the rest of the day shopping for more stuff for Kendall, had a late lunch, then headed home.

Bro & sis together at UDel. So happy they're happy.
Today, I visited my pal Dr. Scott Alpert. He took some xrays (negative), but suggested I probably have tendonitis. With the IM 2 months away, I have to make the wise decision to completely heal before trying to run again. I'm scheduled to do the Westchester Toughman (1/2 IM) on 9/11. I'll do the swim and the bike portion and probably run a mile or two just for the transition practice. I thought of bailing entirely, but part of what inspired me to do this crazy thing was the 10th anniversary of the attacks and a way to honor those who aren't able to realize their dreams. In the grand scheme of things, not finishing this event is small potatoes.

Mr. Happy getting xray'd.

No comments:

Post a Comment