Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Dream-Day 120

Today was a day of firsts.

Did my first open water swim at Sunken Meadow State Park. Got there while it was still dark, slide on the wetsuit, and swam 2 miles on glass. No worries except for 2 dudes surf casting. I think getting a hook in my grill would've been the equivalent to the road rash I got on the bike. I escaped being the catch of the day, hosed off, and drove directly to Heckscher to get my bike work in.

Today's mission was a repeat of last Tuesday. After a 10 min warm up, I had 2 x 20 min holding as much consistent power as I could. I was in my second set when I heard a strange sound. I had seen some tree removal going on and thought it was a chainsaw. Then, over the din of the Pink Floyd tunes I was cranking I heard it again. I thought nothing of it until I saw a police car pull up along side. Now, picture a 2 lane, 3.5 mile loop, I'm riding on the far left hand side, head phones are blarring, legs are moderately on fire. I have a mere 10 mins left of this torture when officer Krupke, the only other human inside the park, decides to test my knowledge of cycling law. Are you kidding me? I'm training for a freakin' Ironman, I'm wet, the place is abandoned, and the fuzz is reading me the riot act about how I didn't stop at a stop sign? I had this mental image of being led away in cuffs with me screaming, "Can I just finish my workout before we go?".

Almost as pathetic as getting pulled over in a park.
Then, just when you think it's not going to be your day, you get this text from your daughter away at college.

No comments:

Post a Comment