Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Dream-Day 118

Back at Sunken Meadow for a repeat of Tuesday's prance through the woods. This time, Coach Joe had me add a few minutes climbing, or should I say scaling, steep sand dunes. I did 3 sets each involving 136' vertical gain over .2 miles. Buuuurn city. In total, I covered 4.5 mi and climbed 1,200 vertical. The legs are already rebelling against tomorrow's 100 mi ride.


At 3, I blew off PT in lieu of blasting to Sunrise Tri to acquire $110 rain gear for my 6 hr ride pretty much guaranteeing no rain. Made it back with time to spare before my first round of acupuncture at Advanced Acupunture in Commack. With 30 min to kill, that meant only one thing...food. So, at 4pm, I hit up Bagel Boss for a toasted whole wheat everything with spicy tuna and a side of fruit. Not sure why I was so hungry after devouring a peach, graham crackers, and a protein bar 1 hr prior. Whatever.

At 4:30 I met Ms. Needles (Dr. Amy Jin). She tapped in several needles, wired me up for some electroshock (aka electrostim, and switched on the heat lamp. Hoping that 8000s of years practice pays off in my case.

The best part of the day by far was seeing my daughter, Kendall, who drove home from the University Of Delaware for the first time with a friend. Of course, the weather bit and for most of the day I was a nervous wreck, but she made it home safe and sound. Unfortunately, I had to take off at 7:30 for swim practice and couldn't hang with her that long. She's only been away for a month and yet she has already demonstrated incredible growth. So proud of her.

Swim practice turned out to be another crusher. Swam with Frank Acuri and Artie Whitmarsh for the first time. I have a hunch Frank is blood doping. I'll admit to wanting to sit out a few times, but before I have the chance "rest" is over and it's back out for more punishment. It's like doing an hour of wind sprints at 80% effort with 10 secs of rest in between. I know it's making me better, but it hurts like hell nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment